Frying Pan Lightship

Frying Pan Lightship - Front

Frying Pan Lightship - Back

Year of Publication (Approximate): 1950s

Preprinted Postcard Text (Front): None

Preprinted Postcard Text (Back): Foot of Howe Street - Southport, N.C. - Permanent berth 1972 - Replaced by light tower - 1964

Published By: PerPro, Inc., 7 Oak Place, Montclair, N.J. 07042

Postmark: Never Mailed

Postage: Never Mailed

Sent/Addressed To: Never Mailed

Postcard Acquired: November 27, 2005 from Macon, GA

Editor's Notes: The Frying Pan Lightship was built in 1929 to warn ships of the dangerous Frying Pan Shoals off the coast of North Carolina at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. The Lightship was 133 feet long and at any given time had 15 men living on board who kept the light burning and foghorn sounding at all times.

In 1964 the Lightship was replaced by a light tower and was abandoned. In 1974 it was discovered under water at an old oyster cannery in the Chesapeake Bay. The new owners restored the ship and it is now docked in New York City where it is available for party rentals.

One of only 13 lightships remaining from more than 100 built, it is listed on the Federal Register of Historic Places.

View More Postcards




Featured Businesses:

View All Featured Businesses
 

Southport, NC Hotel Deals!!!

 
 
   

 

Home | Features | Southport | Oak Island | St. James | Bald Head Island | Boiling Spring Lakes | Search | Advertise

Copyright 2004-2013 by The Southport Times, Inc. All rights reserved.

About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  A to Z Listings  |  Privacy Policy