The Bald Head Island Lighthouse

The Bald Head Island Lighthouse, “Old Baldy,” is one of the oldest historic structures in North Carolina. Old Baldy was the second ofThe Bald Head Island Lighthouse - "Old Baldy" three lighthouses built on Bald Head Island to help steer ships past frying pan shoals. The first lighthouse on Bald Head Island was lost due to beach erosion. Old Baldy was built in 1817 to replace the first lighthouse. However, Old Baldy was not tall enough and had a limited range of its lens. In 1903, Congress appropriated funds for the Cape Fear Lighthouse, which would be located on Bald Head Island. When the Cape Fear Lighthouse was completed, Old Baldy was downgraded to a low intensity static light.

Old Baldy still stands today, however it was decommissioned in 1930. Old Baldy has been restored to its original condition. In 2000, a replica of the 1850’s keepers cottage was built right next to the lighthouse and serves as the Smith Island Museum.

If you are planning a trip to Bald Head Island, a stop to see Old Baldy is a must. Old Baldy is open to the public. For more information on Old Baldy, call 910-457-7481.

Copyright © 2004. All Rights Reserved.

Read More Featured Articles

Featured Businesses:

View All Featured Businesses

Southport, NC Hotel Deals!!!



Home | Features | Southport | Oak Island | St. James | Bald Head Island | Boiling Spring Lakes | Search | Advertise

Copyright © 2004-2013 by The Southport Times, Inc. All rights reserved.

About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map  |  A to Z Listings  |  Privacy Policy